Jul 30, 2011

I feel so....boring!

My entire life could be summed up in about 3 sentences right now. I studied today. I miss my kid when she's gone and am crazy about her when she's here. I am stressed out. Yup, those 3 will do.

There is another thing though....and I do this every single time I am halfway or most of the way through something....nursing school sucks. Of course I will finish it. Of course I will keep on truckin'. But I feel like I am being dragged kicking and screaming through the entire program. And, at first I thought it was just nursing school in general, but the more I talk to other nurses, and other people in different schools, and people that graduated from different schools, the more I realize. Mercy College is kind of an awful program.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I was actually told, by several different instructors and advisors, that the only people that tend to do well in the program are the people that also have the ability to work as a Patient Care Tech at the hospital. Hmm. So, in order for me to pass your program and feel comfortable or even remotely knowledgeable during clinical, I have to get a job and basically put in more hours there? And yet, we are counseled heavily upon admission that we shouldn't have any kind of job. So....if I have to get information and skills outside of the program, does that mean that your program isn't adequate? Because that's what it says to me.

The other thing that sorta kills me is that you are absolutely supposed to take THIS exact class during THIS exact term. Well, that's awesome.....until the only two sections that are being offered overlap with the nursing classes that you have to take. Um, guys? Are people talking to each other?

Due to the Catholic nature of this college, there are a lot of topics that are just glossed over too. Primarily anything that has to do with sex, birth control, or other cultures/religions. Well, ya know what? Even if it is a Catholic college stemming from a Catholic hospital, there are things we will encounter regardless of whether or not there is a giant cross on the side of the building.

So, I'm not bored with the material. I'm not bored with being in school. I'm pissed that I choose a horrible program. HORRIBLE. So, what now? I'm actually nervous that I am going to leave this program as a bad nurse. I suppose I will just have to suck it up, and find other sources to fill in the gaps. I'm just....not sure how to do that. If anyone has any ideas, I am open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment