Jul 15, 2011

30 Days - What would my episode be?

I've been watching a few episodes of 30 Days. If you don't know about it, this is a show on the FX network (I think it ran for 3 seasons or so) by Morgan Spurlock, the man who made the documentary Supersize Me. Good stuff. I liked the documentary, it was an interesting and somewhat lighthearted look at just how awful processed and fast food is for us.

He went on to create this show. The premise of this show is to put someone with a very firmly held view on a controversial topic in a home/environment with the person who thinks completely opposite from them for a period of 30 days.

Some of the episodes I have watched (streaming on Netflix) -

Prolife
Gun Control
New Age
30 Days in a Wheelchair
30 Days in Jail
30 Days at Minimum Wage
Immigrants

And there are several more. I think the hardest one for me to watch was the episode on Gay couples have children (see below, aren't they ADORABLE????). They moved in a Mormon woman who had VERY strong views on gay and lesbian couples. She felt that their lifestyle was horrifically wrong. She felt that them having children was a horrible abomination. And over the course of the 30 days, she never opened up, never had a DISCUSSION. It was always a fight, with her being very defensive and close minded. It was hard to watch. The two men that she lived with for the 30 days were still in contact with several of the kids they had adopted. They adopted children through the foster care system. And....while some had reservations, they all ended up loving these two men and being grateful that they had adopted their children.


So I was wondering, what would my 30 Day Experience be? What issue do I feel so strongly about that I would have to go and attempt to have my mind open for 30 days? I'm just not sure. Honestly doing the inverse of above might be a good challenge. A very super conservative christian household? Pro-life maybe? I don't know. I just don't know about what would bring me to tears, or cause me to say or do things that I might not want to show the world. Some of these people that are put into these episodes just....embarrass themselves.

So, I'm not sure. I just don't know what my 'episode' would be. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment