Jul 31, 2011

Braised Cucumbers are indeed - a Revelation!

So, one of my favorite movies is Julie and Julia. The story of both women spoke to me in different ways. Meryl Streep's performance was brilliant. Amy Adams was also marvelous, although I have to admit that while I both connect with her character and think she did a great job, I found her character to be a wee bit self-centered even when she wasn't supposed to be anymore. But, it's a minor issue.


At one point, during a dinner party that Julie was throwing, she holds up a fork and says "Braised cucumbers are a revelation." The idea of cucumbers.....braised....huh. That's an odd idea. So, I went about Googling the recipe (because I still don't actually own a copy of the cookbook!).  I found several different sources that all had the same recipe listed, stating that it was straight from the cookbook. So, I saddled up to the stove, recipe in hand, and faced down the locally grown cucumbers I had gotten from The Berry Patch in Nevada, IA.


Braised Cucumbers

1 huge cucumber (or 2 regular sized)
1 tablespoon butter
1 dash salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 pinch dried mint

Put skillet on burner to preheat at medium.
Peel cucumber. Cut into quarters and remove seeds. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
Melt butter in a pan and add cucumber. Cover and cook about 8 minutes on medium heat.
Stir in salt, lemon, and mint. Cover and cook another 3 minutes.


I was oddly nervous about dropping cut up cucumber into melted butter in a skillet. It just felt....wrong. But it was so right. And delicious. I might go so far as to say sumptuous. 


I would say, next time, I will cook them a bit longer. They got to the translucent stage, but never really hit browned on the edges, which I should have waited for. It's kinda hard to describe the taste - sort of like delicious, buttery pickles, but without the sour taste. Almost like a banana taste. I will make them again. Oh yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment